This morning an email went out from Meric S. Gertler, President of the University of Toronto declaring the most successful philanthropic campaign in Canadian history. Over 104,000 donours from 99 countries contributed to this incredible campaign generating over $2.6 Billion dollars. Wow!
I consider this another reflection of Toronto’s diversity and its status as an international hub of culture, learning, finance and collaboration.
Dear Mr. [Alumnus],
It is my honour to share some very good news with you. With the support of more than 104,000 donors around the globe, Boundless: the Campaign for the University of Toronto has officially concluded as the most successful philanthropic campaign in Canadian history.
With the efforts and dedication of so many of you from all walks of life, we have raised $2,641,331,307 to advance the University of Toronto’s global leadership and impact. This extraordinary achievement is more than a number—it is a symbol of the collective belief of our global community of donors in U of T’s power to imagine a brighter future for our city, our country and our world.
By supporting the campaign, our donors have helped us attract brilliant scholars to the University, nurture students and prepare them to enter an increasingly complex and fast-changing world, and launch groundbreaking initiatives that directly address many of the most significant issues facing us today. Boundless has also helped elevate the University’s global rankings, as well as its reputation as a priority for national and international investment and engagement. During Boundless, alumni engagement more than tripled around the world.
- 104,059 donors spanning 99 countries gave to Boundless.
- Their generosity supported or created nearly 4,000 scholarships and bursaries and helped push U of T’s endowment earmarked for student support past the $1 billion mark.
- Close to 50,000 donors made their first gift to U of T during the campaign.
- 52,198 donors have given two or more gifts to the campaign.
- More than 16,000 donors under the age of 40 gave to the campaign.
- U of T engaged more than 30,000 young alumni during the campaign through unique event offerings such as the Next Steps Conference and the SHAKER program.
- More than 19,000 alumni and friends served as volunteers.
I invite you to explore Boundless’ remarkable impact through the voices of our donors, students, faculty, volunteers and mentors and the many stories and statistics that reveal the grand scope of the campaign.
As we celebrate the historic close of the campaign, we see even greater opportunities for impact and excellence in the future. Your ongoing support will advance U of T’s global leadership in research and innovation and open doors to greater opportunity for students in their academic and professional lives. Through Boundless, we have shown the world that when we come together, anything is possible. We look forward to continuing this effort with you.
Thank you for supporting the University of Toronto. Together, our future is truly Boundless.
Meric S. Gertler
President, University of Toronto